Sony Reveals Their Next Portable Console, Codename NGP
...or Next Generation Portable
Posted 2 years ago By - Marko Djordjevic
The big news at the PlayStation Meeting 2011 in Tokyo on Thursday was the unveiling of Sony’s new portable console, currently known as codename: NGP or Next Generation Portable.
This new portable console features the following:
- CPU: ARM Cortex-A9 core (4 core)
- GPU: SGX543MP4+
- External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
- Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
- Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
- Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone
- Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
- Location: Built-in GPS, Wi-Fi location service support
- Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons
- Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR （A2DP/AVRCP/HSP）
During the meeting, they showed off a number of different games, including versions of Monster Hunter 3rd, Uncharted, Hot Shots Golf, Lost Planet 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Dynasty Warriors, Call of Duty and a few others. No specific titles were revealed, the focus was more about showing off the graphical possibilities of the system.
AR use was shown off in with a number of games. In Uncharted, the movement/tilting of the unit allowed you to swing Drake on vines. In Hot Shots Golf, your movements allowed you to adjust the view-point. Games like EyePet will benefit from the two cameras. Thanks to touch controls, you can play games either by tapping the screen or using the controls.
As well as revealing the system, they also showcased a new user interface called LiveArea. Not only will you be able to buy games via the PS Store or check your trophies, but you’ll be able to get live news on the games you’re play, see what others are playing in your area and other cool things. The ability to see what others are playing is part of what they call Near; Near will also track where you’ve been and include data on information gathered from other players in your surroundings. NGP will be able to connect to Mobile Networks and the earlier announced PlayStation Suite will also work with the new unit.
Lastly, all currently available games in the PSP digital library will work on the new unit.
No price point or specific release date given. They did state it should launch by Holiday 2011, but no specifics as to if that meant Japan Launch 2011 or Global Launch 2011. More information will be made public at E3.
"When PSP first launched in 2005 in North America it changed the way people thought of portable gaming and raised expectations in regards to the variety and quality of games users expected to access while on the go," said SCEA" President and CEO Jack Tretton. "With NGP we carry on this rich history of redefining industry standards and raising the bar for consumer expectations for what portable gaming can deliver."
Source : Various (IGN, Kotaku, PlayStation Blog, GameSpot, Joystiq)
20/05/2013 :: Tearaway Pre-order Bonuses Revealed!
20/05/2013 :: Sony Teases PS4 in Brief Video Clip
20/05/2013 :: Check Out Sony's PS4 Teaser Split into 14 Images
20/05/2013 :: Splinter Cell: Blacklist Trailer Goes Co-Op
20/05/2013 :: New Yakuza 1 & 2 HD Screenshots Arrive!
20/05/2013 :: Check Out This Week's New Releases!
20/05/2013 :: Australian Bureau of Statistics Releases Free iOS Game, Run That Town!
20/05/2013 :: Sony Registers Domains for The Last of Us Sequels and The Order 1886
20/05/2013 :: Obsidian Teams Up with Mail.ru to Make MMO, Skyforge
20/05/2013 :: Ghost of a Tale Reaches Indiegogo Funding Goal!
20/05/2013 :: Arc System Works Announces... New Guilty Gear!
20/05/2013 :: Terry Cavanagh's Next Game is a Proper, Meaty Puzzler
20/05/2013 :: Shadow Warrior Reimagining Gets Teased in New Video
19/05/2013 :: Upcoming Nintendo Direct to Feature 3D Mario, Super Smash Bros., and Mario Kart
Download us here!
Game Junkies podcast and audio interviews